Home > Technical Articles
BS EN 13157:2013 is a European standard that specifies the requirements for crane safety. It covers all types of cranes, including mobile cranes, tower cranes, and overhead cranes. The standard provides guidelines for safe lifting operations to ensure the protection of workers and prevent accidents.
Key Requirements of BS EN 13157:2013
BS EN 13157:2013 outlines several essential requirements that cranes must meet to ensure their safe operation. These requirements include:
1. Load Capacity: The crane must have a clearly defined load capacity, including information on its safe working load, maximum load, and any restrictions regarding load distribution. This ensures that operators do not exceed the crane's capabilities, preventing accidents caused by overloading.
2. Stability: The standard emphasizes the importance of crane stability during lifting operations. The crane's structure and design should guarantee sufficient stability to handle the loads without tipping or overturning. Counterweights, outriggers, and other stabilizing mechanisms are often used to achieve this.
3. Safety Devices: BS EN 13157:2013 also requires cranes to be equipped with appropriate safety devices, such as limit switches, overload indicators, and emergency stop buttons. These devices help monitor and control the crane's operation, enabling prompt actions to be taken in case of emergencies or potential hazards.
Benefits of Complying with BS EN 13157:2013
Adhering to BS EN 13157:2013 offers several benefits for both crane operators and their employees:
1. Enhanced Safety: By following the guidelines of this standard, crane operators can ensure a safer working environment. The use of safety devices and maintaining adequate load capacities minimizes the risk of accidents, protecting both workers and equipment.
2. Legal Compliance: BS EN 13157:2013 is a recognized European standard for crane safety. Complying with it helps companies meet legal requirements and standards set by regulatory bodies, avoiding penalties and potential legal issues.
3. Improved Efficiency: Safe lifting operations result in increased efficiency and productivity. When cranes are operated within their specified limits, there is less downtime due to accidents or equipment failures. This allows businesses to optimize their operations and meet project deadlines more effectively.
BS EN 13157:2013 plays a crucial role in ensuring the safety of crane operations. By defining essential requirements and guidelines, this European standard helps prevent accidents, protect workers, and promote efficient lifting operations. Compliance with BS EN 13157:2013 is not only a legal obligation but also a way to create a safer and more productive work environment.
Contact: Nina She
Add: 1F Junfeng Building, Gongle, Xixiang, Baoan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China