Technical Articles

Do you need a special plug for Australia?

The plug types in Australia

Australia uses three different types of plugs: Type I, Type C, and Type O.

Type I is the most commonly used plug in Australia. It has three pins in an angled triangle shape, with the two flat pins at the top forming an upside-down "V" shape and the third pin, which is a grounding pin, below them. This type of plug is similar to the plugs used in Argentina, China, and New Zealand.

Type C is a plug commonly used in Europe, but can also be found in some areas of Australia. It has two round pins and does not have a grounding pin. If your device uses this type of plug, you will still be able to use it in Australia, but you may need to use a plug adapter or a power strip with a Type I socket.

Type O is a unique plug used specifically for outdoor and garden appliances in Australia. It has two flat pins in a V shape and a grounding pin below them. This plug is designed to be weatherproof and is only used for specific outdoor applications.

Using adapters and converters

If your home country uses a different type of plug than what is used in Australia, you will need to use an adapter to plug your devices into Australian outlets. Adapters are small and portable devices that allow you to connect your foreign plug into the Australian socket. They do not convert voltage, so you still need to check if your device is compatible with the Australian voltage.

It's important to note that Australia operates on a 230-240V electrical system, while some countries, such as the United States and Japan, operate on a 110-120V system. If your device is not compatible with the higher voltage used in Australia, you will need to use a voltage converter or a transformer. These devices not only change the plug shape, but also convert the voltage of your device to match the local power system.

Travel tips for using electrical devices in Australia

Before traveling to Australia, it's recommended to check the voltage and plug type used in the country you are coming from. This will help you determine if you need to bring adapters or converters for your devices.

If you are unsure about the compatibility of your devices, it's always best to err on the safe side and purchase a universal adapter or a travel adapter kit. These kits usually include multiple types of plugs to cover different countries, ensuring that you can use your devices wherever you go.

Additionally, it's important to be aware of the maximum wattage your adapter or converter can handle. Some high-powered devices, such as hair dryers or curling irons, require more wattage than standard adapters can deliver. In these cases, it's best to look for a specific high-wattage adapter or consider purchasing a hair dryer or other appliances locally to avoid any potential damage to your devices.


When traveling to Australia, understanding the plug types and electrical requirements is crucial to ensure that you can use your devices safely and efficiently. Whether you need a simple plug adapter or a voltage converter, being prepared will make your trip hassle-free. Remember to check the voltage, bring the appropriate adapters or converters, and enjoy your time in Australia without any worries!



Contact: Nina She

Phone: +86-13751010017


Add: 1F Junfeng Building, Gongle, Xixiang, Baoan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China

Scan the qr codeclose
the qr code