Home > Technical Articles

Austrian Standards Institute (ASI)

The Austrian Standards Institute (formerly GermanÖsterreichisches Normungsinstitut), abbreviated ASI, is a standards organization and the ISO member body for Austria.


History

Its predecessor organization, the Österreichischer Normenausschuss für Industrie und Gewerbe (Austrian Standards Committee for Industry and Trade), was founded in the First Republic of Austria on 23 September 1920, with 13 committees developing technical standards primarily for mechanical and electrical engineering. The first standard was published in 1921 on metric screw threads. In 1932, the committee's name was shortened to the Österreichischer Normenausschuss (Austrian Standards Committee). With the Austrian Anschluss to Nazi Germany in 1938, it became a branch office of the German Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN) standards organization, but resumed operations in its own right after World War II, and was a founding ISO member in 1946.

The 1954 Federal Act on Standardization recognized the activities of the committee, and the Act, as amended, serves as its legal basis. The Austrian Standards Committee's name was changed to the Austrian Standards Institute in 1969.

On 1 March 2006, the Institute published ON rule ONR 168000, used to calculate the monetary value of abrand.

The Institute is located at Heinestrasse 38, 1020 Vienna.


close
Scan the qr codeClose
the qr code